Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What about cafe church?

I meet-up with people all the time at local coffee hot spots. I began wondering if the post-modern gen, which isn't necessarily attracted to church in the box religion, would be attracted to meet-ups once a week for worship or three time a month with one meeting per month out doing mission, which would include not only hands on working, but also learning about not for profits, community demographics and unmet needs.

This kind of church would be for people like me, only who I dont normally see in the pews of traditional church. Limited overhead, except for tech savvy to develop web material , group can grow together into whatever they feel called to grow into. Thoughts??????

2 comments:

  1. I find the concept appealing. I wonder how such a group might incorporate, in this secular public setting, those parts of worship which "move" people and reach deep down to nourish our spirits? Shared prayer can be done in a pretty subtle way, but what about music and other liturgical arts? Maybe the answer is that the "moving" part happens elsewhere, as part of the hands-on mission experience...

    What you describe sounds rather like a public version of the "Covenant Group" I belonged to in college. It was based on the old Methodist "class meeting" system-- a small, intimate weekly gathering of faithful folk who covenanted with each other to hold each other accountable for spiritual study, prayer, and growth. We took turns offering a meditation and leading a discussion each week, prayed together, and challenged each other to live out our faith and wrestle with our vocations more boldly. It was a wonderful group--the members of that group have remained staunch friends long after other college connections frayed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maine Celt, I would love to talk to you about this more. I read this and was encouraged by your response. However, can you tell me more about what this looked like? I would like to organize this on campus' campi, but need help and direction. I love the idea of collaborative ministry and leadership and I love that you have supported each other as staunch friends. How do we share this with Generation Next? How do we get them to the table to talk about these things?

    ReplyDelete