Sunday, August 23, 2009

emerging call

Its been a while. I have given over to the blessing or curse of everyday mayhem that motherhood, or should I just say life, stirs into my mix. It has been a while since I have posted and I realize I have not posted much specifically about my emerging church and my emerging call. I think that is because I am not particularly bloggified or bloggifiable yet.....and it has become easy for me to express my call to something non-traditional, and yet hard to articulate what that something is. Being an external processor, I find I need to talk idea out loud and then refine them based on conversations, corrections or revisioning that happens.

Sooooo.. Here is where I am today. HOPEMEUCC ..Hands of Peace Extended. A progressive Christian Church without walls that seeks to form Christian Community in new ways and places. Joyfully following an incarnate God, we see to identify the presence of God around us and in others.

We meet 4x a month in different places for different purposes. Our first meeting of the month will be a celebratory meal with music, bible study and discussion. It probably wont be church music as most know it, but a mix of jazz, blues, folk, rock from whatever live artists we can invite to our meal. Different and differing voices will read the text and discussion will be opened up to all to discern the voice of the Divine.

The second meeting of the month will be "it's all about us" and will have the elements of reading the Scripture and talking about the UCC identity and how we are living it out or at least how we want to be living it out. This meeting will continuously explore the Church identity alongside our Christian identity.

The third meeting of the month will be "and now for something totally different". This meeting will focus on our Christian text and then on ecumenical and interfaith understandings of our faith. We recognize that our own context is that of being Christian, but seek to discover God's meaning for our lives as Christians in a multicultural and changing world. We will draw on other faith leaders to educate us and dialogue with us to enhance all of our understandings and to expand our knowledge of and faith in a living God.

The fourth meeting of the month will be "Jesus has left the building." We will do mission on this meeting in a variety of forms and forums. We may work on a habitat for humanity home, or serve dinner at a soup kitchen. We may learn about green energy opportunities in our community or what is going on with local food cooperatives, or how to interface with local seniors with special needs. The fourth meeting will be about getting out, looking for Christ in our midst as well as being representatives of the incarnational God in our communities.

If the month happens to have a fifth Sunday, my exhortation will be to go explore elsewhere so that we remain in touch with what else is happening in church communities and so we can share our story.

THOUGHTS PLEASE??????!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. First, I feel your pain as an external processor! Blogging continues to be a challenge for me (especially doing it CONSISTENTLY *sigh*) but I find that if I talk aloud as I type, it helps. ;)

    Second, I love your vision for a redemptive, emergent/emerging community of faith! Lots of work involved with planning those "gatherings" each week - I pray that you have people who are passionate about each of those issues/areas who can do all the "legwork" to make them a reality.

    Third, I understand that the UCC follows a congregational model re: churches - will you have any assistance from the local/state/national UCC governing board (not sure if this the correct terminology - forgive me if I've got it wrong!)? I'm just thinking about all the financial & logistic stuff involved and I wonder if there's any assistance for you from the larger body.

    Fourth/last, do you sense a desire/need for a congregation like this in the location you are considering? Will you have to be bi-vocational? I'm not trying to dissuade you from your dream nor do I want to sound pejorative - just want to help you think through all of the details involved in starting a new church! :)

    I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you should check out http://www.houseforall.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=58

    It seems like it might be similar in a lot of ways to the community you are dreaming about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts! There will be lots of work...initially as my senior project in seminary....and honestly discerning if there is a community of people who want to make this journey. If not, then determining in what context they would like to make the journey. I do have national support and training, and there is a local leadership team assembled. Money...that's another story...there is none.

    The good news or bad news is that I am disabled. I have healthcare and small income and am blessed with a partner who has an income and supports my call. Financially and logistically I am finding my way.

    80% of my state is not churched. I am trying to discern if this model will draw them in and I think the only way to do it...is to just do it. It may start small, slow and not sophisticated. However, if it draws folks, we will grow it. I know I can't do it all...the litmus test will be if others find any or all of it worthwhile and will take it on as their way of giving and growing it. If pieces fail or break off, thats okay too. Contextualizing a living God isn't easy!

    I love house for all.org I am going to check that out!

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete